Clark & Standfield Limited -
In 1873 Edwin and Latimer Clark who had already gained
an international reputation in both the design of hydraulic lift docks and canal lifts
and had also been involved in bridge construction, notably the Britannia and Conway bridges, invited John Standfield to join them in the construction of floating docks,
lifts, dock gates and caissons and so the company was formed.
The first Clark & Standfield dock was built in Millwall on the Thames in 1877 for the Imperial Russian Navy. It had a lifting capacity of 4200 tons and is believed to be the
first iron dock to be placed into service.
The company, since founded, has prepared designs for more than 200 floating docks, varying in lifting capacity from 100 tons
to 100,000 tons. These have been mostly for overseas clients but include more than 60 for the British Admiralty. The company
has since 1947 concentrated more on design, supervision and survey, in addition to construction world-wide. During this period the company has
developed a number of patents associated with floating docks and associated equipment and has developed a number of special types; both civil and naval.
The company continues to be active in the design of floating docks and recent contracts have been for the Ministry of
Defence, and the governments and harbour
authorities in Australia, India and Pakistan. The company has more
recently broadened its activities to provide Marine Consultancy for a
variety of Ship and Civil related projects.